Thursday, October 9, 2008

If you don't understand our political system, please shut up...

The subtitle for this post, if I could do such a thing, would be "Or where on earth DID Marisa go for five minutes?"
Marisa is Marian's slightly ridiculous mother who thinks I need more Spanish friends and I need to get out more and study less; I'm pretty sure she's NOT the one paying for my education. She also disappeared for about five minutes yesterday evening and I'm trying to figure out where she went. Paco is Marian's father who speaks exceptional English and doesn't understand the U.S. political system as well as he (and most other Spaniards) thinks he does.
My ballot for the U.S. election arrived yesterday and so before filling it out, I was showing it to Marian and Paco while explaining the issues. They were amazed at the things I have to vote on. And the idea of writing in a candidate? That one blew them out of the water. But they were looking at things like voting for MSU, UofM, and WSU's various Boards of Regents/Governors. And then they were looking at things like Proposals 1 and 2. (By the way, how did you all fail to let me know that medical marajuana had made the ballot?) But then we were discussing U.S. politicians and what they think of Obama, McCain, Palin, and the Clintons. Paco really liked Hillary. Ayeessh! I like these people but my goodness! I'm sick of them trying to explain the U.S. political system to me. I know that our economy is in deep crap right now. I am also aware that Europeans don't really like Bush or the Iraq war. Maybe it isn't as big of a deal here or to these people, but for me, abortion and infanticide and all related issues are incredibly important when it comes to my voting record. I'd rather vote for Mickey Mouse than Obama. But only if Micky is pro-life...
Last night, I was (finally) watching the first half of the season premiere of Heroes. (Yes, I am aware that it first aired about two or three weeks ago but what with my hard drive's death and all, things took a while.) And at the end, one of the characters was reciting "The Second Coming" by W.B. Yeats while they showed where all the main characters were at that point. In a horrible way, the words really reminded me of this election and of the way I feel this world has been going of late. It especially struck me since Donal has been sarcastically referring to Obama as the "Messiah." These last five lines really struck me.
"The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
"
Umm...yeah, I don't know why but that really struck me. It was written right after WWI, and was reflecting the poet's feelings about the change of the world. But somehow I really feel that we need to ask ourselves this question right now. What is coming?
And why does Cecilia keep blogging about politics and not her life in Spain?

No comments: