Thursday, March 18, 2010
Firstly, I'm posting to show you this. I made it on Wordle today and I'm excessively proud of myself. Really, it's a little ridiculous.
Secondarily, I'm leaving Blogger. I have many reasons for this, and I will expound approximately none of them here. But I am leaving Blogger for WordPress. My new blog can be found here. I am still going to call it "A Large Cup of Tea and a Long Book."
Saturday, March 13, 2010
So I just finished reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It only took me seven days. How did I do it?
- I took advice from people who had read it before. It really is 50% social commentary and history that you don't really need to know to understand the story.
- Find someone to mock you. I got my friend, Susanna, to mock me. I didn't ask her for it. But she'd read it before and she knew that I was reading it. So she teased me and mocked me. And it motivated me.
- Find someone to cheer you on. For me, that was my friend's little sister. She thought it was the most impressive thing ever how fast I was reading the book. So she was basically my personal cheering section.
- I was listening to the musical soundtrack.
- And I skimmed through the history stuff. It was boring and dry and unnecessary.