Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Please do not participate

So, I have now gone to all of my classes once. (Yesterday was the first day of Winter 2010 semester for me.)
Here's how this semester is looking for me: three Spanish classes, one English class; two pedagogy classes; one class that will kick my a**; one class that will probably be a breeze.
I have friends in all of my classes.

My first class of the week is Monday at 6pm; it's Spanish pedagogy. It won't be easy but it shouldn't kill me. I know the professor; that helps.
My next class is on Tuesday (and Thursday) afternoons; that's English pedagogy. It will be difficult but it will be good.
Later on Tuesday (and Thursday) afternoons I have Spanish Reading and Storytelling. This is Spanish 300. I've taken 11 or 12 Spanish classes over my academic career and I've been studying Spanish since age 12. We went around the classroom this afternoon and introduced ourselves. It quickly became clear that my friend Kaylin and I are more advanced than the other students in the class-and significantly so. So the professor told us that we will be called upon less frequently and our participation will be less important because we don't need to practice vocabulary etc as much as the other students. Fun times...
And then I have my Don Juan class. The name is not a joke. The course is genuinely called SPA 495: Capstone, Don Juan. It's being team-taught by two professors. I've had one before and we get along; I'm not really familiar with the other but they both seem nice and good.
I often knit before/during classes and Profesora P, one of my Don Juan professors, is familiar with this. I wasn't doing it today and she came up to me and asked me if I had stopped knitting before classes. I said no, my knitting was in my bag; I just was a bit tired. We then engaged in a discussion of why I knit/crochet. It was fun. And I was glad to see that she noticed that about me and considered it to be of value/a cool thing.

In sad news, I'm getting sick. I'm coming down with a cold. So I'm drinking lots of tea to soothe my throat and try to calm the congestion. I also need to sleep more.

In pressing news, I bought a French press (press pot for coffee) and a garlic press today. I used a Target gift card I received from one of my aunts for Christmas. I've been wanting a garlic press for a while and looked at different ones in various places. I ended up deciding that while I'll probably get what I pay for, I'm a college student and all I really need is a cheap garlic press for now. I can get a nicer one when I'm a real adult. So I paid $2.99. And then I spent $19.99 on a French press. That will be expected to last a bit longer.

Now I want a flowering teapot. Barb H. has one and she let Kyle and I play with it during the UCO end of the year party last year. (By play, I mean she put the flower in the infuser, put the infuser in the teapot, and put the boiling water in the teapot. Then she let the two of us creepily hunch around her kitchen counter for 15-20 minutes watching the flower bloom.) It was so cool. And now I want one.

No comments: