Wednesday, May 20, 2009

They said it...and I didn't

So the following are few great (in my humble opinion) quotations from my life.

1) Back in late March, I went to a baby shower for my friend, Christina. At some point, I was sitting on the couch with Christina and her cousins (and my friends) Charlotte, Clare, and Theresa when we overheard someone ask Christina's older sister, Anna, "Where did Dominic come from?" (Dominic is Anna's 11 month old son.)
Christina looked at me and said, "Well, I can tell you that."
Then Anna started explaining why she and her husband chose the name Dominic. And the five of us on the couch all looked at each other and said, "Oh, that's what she meant."

2) About a week ago, my dear friend Mary and I were in a coffee shop talking about something (that wasn't funny) when Mary just started laughing hysterically. I looked at her, concerned, and asked if she was all right. She told me to (discretely) look at the table behind me. And there I saw a man in his late thirties or early forties working on his laptop. And on the front of his laptop was a sign which read "I ENJOY CLASSICAL MUSIC. PLEASE INQUIRE WITHIN. (newly single)"
And then we couldn't stop laughing.

3) On Sunday, my brother and I were at coffee and donuts after church when we saw a birthday cake with the words "Happy 50th Birthday, Iran" on it.
Well, Iran is either much older than fifty (by some reckonings) or younger; the Islamic Republic of Iran is 31 years old.
And then we realized that this birthday cake was for Ivan, a man who is probably in his sixties.

Well, Happy Birthday to Jimmy Stewart! He would be 101 years old today...if he were alive.

No comments: