Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lactose Intolerance

I'm putting this up here because I'm looking for some opinions about this. This is something that has confused me for a long time. I really do not understand this.

I am lactose intolerant. I know that's very un-American of me; I'm sorry. I've been lactose intolerant since I was 17. And it's gotten worse as I've gotten older. I can't even take lactaid anymore. I just cannot eat dairy.
This doesn't really bother me. Honestly, I've adapted to it and I eat what I can. I'm surviving just fine-thank you very much. It does get a little more complicated when I'm on retreats or visiting other communities (Montreal and Vitoria-I had minor issues on both trips but nothing major...) but in general, it is a completely survivable situation. It hasn't killed me yet and it isn't likely to kill me. In short, I miss ice cream, tiramisu, and cheesecake at times. But I'm quite fine in general.
Several months, my friend Jaci suggested to me that I get prayed over to be healed of lactose intolerance because she thought it was interfering with my life. But it isn't! I really do NOT mind being lactose intolerant. When you have migraines, knee and hip problems, allergy-induced asthma, and lactose intolerance, the lactose intolerance is the least of your problems.
And then in Montreal, Alex decided to pray over me that I would be healed of lactose intolerance. But I wasn't healed. What I felt God saying was this: "This is not what I want to heal you from right now."
Being lactose intolerant does not deter me from living for God or having a relationship with Him. If anything, He gets to hear from me even more after I've accidentally eaten the salad with the cheese or whatever.
So if being lactose intolerant does not bother me, why does it bother other people?

No comments: