Saturday, March 21, 2009

Book Review: Father Elijah

Well, it took me a grand total of two days to read the whole book. The book is "Father Elijah: an Apocalypse" by Michael D. O'Brien. It is a novel written by a Catholic about Catholicism.I fell in love with this book through reading it.
This book tells the story of Father Elijah, a monk at a Roman Catholic monastery in the Holy Land. One day, his prior tells him that he has been summoned to Rome for an unknown reason. It quickly becomes clear that the world is changing, rapidly heading towards darkness. The Antichrist is on the move and the Church is in grave peril. It is the story of the determination of the faithful few fighting back for Christ.
It is truly beautiful. Rarely do I read a book that both convicts me and excites me. It's a page-turner. It is well-written, insightful, very Catholic but not more Catholic than the Pope, inspiring and hopeful.
A few quotations to pique your interest.
"We are the children of God who come after the descent of the Holy Spirit."
"If I have taught you to carry the cross and die on it, then I have taught you everything. Have I taught you this?"
I give it five stars out of five.

You should read it.
Now, I need a new book to read.

Related note: I also highly recommend (for the same crowd that would enjoy this book "The Cardinal" by Henry Morton Robinson.It was written in the 1950s and is about a Roman Catholic priest from Boston. It's also beautiful.)

No comments: