Thursday, February 19, 2009

Things that make me sad

I randomly found this article online about some charity event that celebrities were attending to help organizations that work in Africa-the Congo, I believe. Here are some quotations from celebs-today's "Wise Men"-about the situation.
"I'm here because the Congo is the most dangerous place in the world for women and girls to be." - "Entourage" star Emmanuelle Chriqui
No, sweetie, the most dangerous place in the world for women and girls to be is any place where abortion is legal. Yes, the Congo is a physically dangerous place for women to be. But there are crimes against women being committed here in American. And these crimes are legal. And they are supported by the majority of the "Wise Men" of Hollywood.

"Go to raisehopeforcongo.org to find out how you can be a part of ending the deadliest conflict since World War II." - Joel Madden
But let's not do anything to protect the lives of the unborn.

"I am here because what's happening in the Congo is beyond anyone's nightmare and it's the least I can do to shed a little light on a desperate situation." - Sheryl Crow
Umm...Sheryl, honey, you are pro-choice. Yes, what's happening in the Congo is beyond anyone's nightmare. But I'm pretty sure that abortion is also beyond anyone's nightmare when they actually think about what is being done. It's called legal murder. It happens here; it happens in the "Third World." The only difference is: the people in Africa have already been born; they have at least some hope of running away. They have their own two feet to run with. Unborn babies have nothing to run with.

"Hi, I'm Andie MacDowell and I'm here because I don't want to be blind to the devasatation and tragedy of what is happening in the Congo." - Actress Andie MacDowell
I don't want to be blind to it either. Nor do I want to be blind to the plight of the unborn.

"Hi! I am here because I love children & women & want all people of the world to live free & safe. Lysa Heslov is an inspiration to me." - "Californication" star Pamela Adlon
I want all children-including the unborn-to be safe and free.
Oh, and as an English minor, allow to say that your grammar is atrocious.

"Hi. I'm Nia Vardalos and I'm here cuz am a new mom (to a preeschooler) -- every child deserves safety and security. xo." -- "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" star Nia Vardalos
Every child does deserve safety and security-including the unborn babies.

Okay, I will now hop off my soapbox. And I think I'll go get some sleep; it's been a long day. I went to bed at 1am this morning and got up at 7:50am. Then I sat through classes and worked on a project.
Tomorrow will be much more low-stress.
Oh, and if you're wondering what on earth kept me up so late last night? Last night at UCO, we had a visit from some WONDERFUL UCOers from Ann Arbor-Alex, the famous John, Chris, Kevin, Hannah, and Brian. Afterwards, we went out to Uccellos. And then I volunteered to drive the Alledale-ites back to Allendale because I didn't want them to have to wait for the bus in the FREEZING cold. And it was after 12:30am by the time I finally got home. And then I went to bed. But staying up late was worth it.

But anyway...yeah, Hollywood frustrates me. They think they can tell the rest of us what to think and feel about important issues. I agree that what is happening in Africa is wrong and it needs to be stopped. But I fail to see why we, the United States of America, have the right to go around interfering in other countries' business when we can't clean up our own act. We may not have open war or torture our citizens for no real reason. Except we do that to our unborn babies, we disrespect the gift of life and the sacred dignity of the human person in that we all abortion to persist in this nation. As members of the human race, we have a duty to protect our fellow human beings-from the moment of conception.
St. Gianna Molla, pray for us. We truly are the poorest of the poor. We are a nation that kills its own babies.

"How can there be too many children, that's like saying there are too many flowers."
~Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

“It is a poverty that a child must die so that you may live as you desire.”

-Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

She said it best. She cared about the born and the unborn. And she defended the dignity of the human person. What more could anyone ask for? She truly pointed to Christ through her life.

No comments: